Novosibirsk is the third most populous city of Russia, the administrative center of the Novosibirsk Oblast as well as of Siberian Federal District. It is a scientific, cultural, industrial, transport, trade and business center of Siberia.
Maps of Novosibirsk
Weather in Novosibirsk
Research and Educational Institutions
Libraries, Theaters, the Philharmonic Society, Cinemas and concert halls, Museums
The Zoo and the Botanical Garden
Diplomatic Missions, Consulates, Visa and Cultural Centers
Novosibirsk Twin Cities
Coordinates Latitude: 55° 11' North Longitude: 82° 59' East
Time zone The city is located in the time zone 7 hours ahead of UTC and 3 hours ahead of Moscow.
The distance to Moscow is 3425 km; to Vladivostok it is 6136 km (according to Google Maps)
The population of the city is 1485 ths. people (according to the Census data of 2010)
The city area is 506,67 km² (according to the data of the Federal State Statistical Service).
The city was founded in 1893. Its establishment was connected with the construction of the Tran Siberian Railroad and a railroad bridge across the River Ob.
The city was named Novonikolayevsk and in 1926 renamed in Novosibirsk.
The city is located on the banks of the River Ob, with the hydropower station and the reservoir located 10 km away from the city.
Novosibirsk is the largest transportation hub in Siberia connecting it with the Far East, Middle Asia and the European part of Russia, Europe and Asia.
Novosibirsk Railway Station
Novosibirsk River Port
Novosibirsk Bus Station
In 1979, the construction of the Novosibirsk metro started; in 1985 the metro bridge over the River Ob was built, which became the longest one in the world.
Novosibirsk Metro Map
The Weather Channel
Pogoda Yandex (Rus)
In 1957 Novosibirsk scientific center of the Siberian Branch of the Russian Academy of Sciences was established in Akademgorodok. Dozens of scientific and research institutes, one of the leading Russian universities are located there. Now a technopark is under construction in the area. The State Research Center of Virology and Biotechnology VECTOR is located In Koltsovo. The Siberian branch of the Russian Academy of Agricultural Sciences is located In Krasnobsk.
There are 32 higher educational institutions in Novosibirsk, including 11 universities, 8 academies and 13 institutes among which there are Novosibirsk State University, Novosibirsk State Technical University, Siberian State University of Telecommunications and Computer Sciences, Novosibirsk State Architecture and Construction University, Novosibirsk Railroad Academy, Siberian State Academy of Geodesy, and the Conservatoire.
There are 80 libraries in the city. The largest ones are
- State Public Scientific Technological Library
- Novosibirsk State Regional Scientific Library
- Novosibirsk Regional Library for the Blind and Visually Impaired
There are several theatres in the city, such as the Opera and Ballet Theatre, several drama theatres, a puppet theatre, the Philharmonic Society, modern cinema multiplexes and concert halls:
- The Novosibirsk Academic Opera and Ballet Theatre is the largest opera theatre in Russia
- The Novosibirsk State Academic Drama Theatre “Krasny Fakel”
- The Novosibirsk State Drama Theatre “Stary Dom”
- The Novosibirsk Academic Youth Theatre “Globus”
- S. Afanasyev's City Drama Theatre
- Novosibirsk Theatre Music Comedy
- Novosibirsk State Philharmonic Society (the symphony and chamber orchestras, vocal and instrumental groups)
- Novosibirsk Conservatoire (a concert hall and a hall of organ music)
- The Novosibirsk State Art Museum
- The Novosibirsk State Natural History Museum
- The Museum of Cossack Glory
- N. A. Akulinin Novosibirsk Railroad Transport Museum
- The Siberian Birch Bark Museum
- Nikolay Rerikh Museum
- The Museum of the Sun
- Open-Air Historical and Architectural Museum
- Siberian Museum of Communications
There Novosibirsk Zoo keeps about 10 000 specimen of 702 animal species. More than 300 species have been registered in the International Red Book, Russia Red Data Book and The Red Data Book of Novosibirsk region. The animals often produce offspring.
Central Siberian Botanical Garden is the largest botanical scientific research institution in the Asian part of Russia. The garden was established in 1947 on the territory of Novosibirsk; since 1964 the garden has been located in Akademgorodok and occupies a territory of over 1 thousand hectare. The garden hosts scientific laboratories, green houses and conservatories.
Large stadia, sports and concert centers, swimming pools, a motorcycle racing track, biathlon range, skiing lodges, a racecourse, a snowboard park and downhill skiing centers.
- The Mission of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Russia
- Consulate of Belarus
- Consulate-General of Germany in Novosibirsk
- The Mission of the Italian Institute for Foreign Trade
- Republic of Korea Centre of Business Development.
- The representative of Kazakhstan Trade Mission
- Novosibirsk branch of the Kyrgyzstan Consulate-General in Yekaterinburg
- Consulate-General of Uzbekistan
- Trade Economic and Mission of Ukraine
- Great Britain
- Republic of Korea
- Cultural centre of Israel
- Municipal Cultural Center "Sibir-Hokkaido"
- German Goethe-Institut
- French Cultural and Information Centre "Alliance Francaise"
- Varna (Bulgaria)
- Minneapolis (USA)
- Mianyang (China)
- Osh (Kyrgyzstan)
- Sapporo (Japan)
- Saint Paul (USA)
- Taejon (Republic of Korea)
- Kharkov (Ukraine)